Makita U.S.A., Inc., a leading innovator in cordless technology, has launched angle grinders with the X-LOCK quick-change system. Three new angle grinders feature X-LOCK: 18V LXT® Brushless 4-1/2” / 5″ X-LOCK Angle Grinder (XAG25Z), 18V LXT® Brushless 4-1/2” / 5” Paddle Switch Angle Grinder (XAG26Z), and 4-1/2” X-LOCK Angle Grinder (GA4570). These X-LOCK Angle Grinders are designed for cutting, grinding and surface
prep applications in metalworking.
X-LOCK is an accessory locking mechanism integrated into the gear housing for tool-free accessory changes. A click-mount and pull release lever make changing accessories easy and up to 5-times faster than traditional threaded lock-nut mounting. X-LOCK eliminates the possibility of over- or under-tightening the threaded lock spindles.
18V LXT® Brushless 4-1/2” / 5″ X-LOCK Angle Grinders
The cordless angle grinders are engineered for faster grinding. They feature an efficient Makita-built brushless motor, which delivers 8,500 RPM for faster grinding. A quick guard rotation allows easy tool-less adjustment for increased productivity. Spiral bevel gears provide smoother rotations and a more efficient transfer of energy for smoother, consistent grinding.
Both grinders also feature a rubberized soft grip and a 3-stage L.E.D. gauge to indicate battery charge level. The grinders are also equipped with wire mesh intake covers to help prevent debris from entering the motor.
The cordless angle grinders also have the following advanced electronic features:
• Automatic Speed Change™ – adjusts speed and torque during operation for maximum performance
• Active Feedback-sensing Technology (AFT®) – AFT® turns the motor off if rotation speed suddenly slows or the wheel is forced to a stop.
• Anti-Restart Protection – engineered to prevent motor start up when battery is inserted with switch in the on position
• Electric Brake – stops the grinding or cut-off wheel in 2 seconds or less for maximum productivity
• Extreme Protection Technology (XPT™) – For increased durability, the grinder is equipped with Extreme Protection Technology (XPT™), a protective seal inside the tool engineered for improved dust and moisture resistance by channeling debris away from the tool’s key internal components.
• Soft Start – suppresses start-up reaction for smooth start-ups and longer gear life
• Star Protection Computer Controls™ – For improved tool performance and extended battery life, Makita created Star Protection Computer Controls™. Star Protection is communication technology that allows the Star Protection-equipped tool and battery to exchange data in real time and monitor conditions during use to protect against overloading, over-discharging and overheating. For increased versatility, the tool can also
be powered by Makita® 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Batteries with the star symbol on the battery indicating Star Protection inside.
18V LXT System
The angle grinders are a part of Makita’s expanding 18V LXT System, the world’s largest cordless tool system powered by 18V lithium-ion slide-style batteries. Makita 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Batteries have the fastest charge times in their categories, so they spend more time working and less time sitting on the charger.
4-1/2” X-LOCK Angle Grinder
The GA4570 is a corded version, offering 7.5 AMPS. An AC/DC slide switch allows use with alternative power sources. It features a compact design with 2-1/2” diameter barrel.
For durability, the angle grinder features a ball-bearing design and metal gear housing, a labyrinth
construction of seals to protect the drive gear and bearings, and a varnish-sealed armature.
Along with the new angle grinders, Makita will be releasing a range of premium X-LOCK accessories. Accessories include diamond blades, grinding wheels, cut-off wheels, flap discs, and wire abrasives. X-LOCK accessories are designed to work with Makita X-LOCK Angle Grinders (XAG25, XAG26, GA4507, sold separately) and standard 7/8” arbor grinders.